Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Pattern Review...What I'm wearing today

I know I'm getting back to normal because I've been getting up, showering and getting dressed and going no where but at least I know I look good! I'm going back to work on Wednesday so I may as well start getting in the groove now! Tomorrow I leave for Mansfield, OH where my sister lives and we are going to have a sewing weekend. Yippeee! I do have an appointment with my chemo doctor tomorrow and I hope he has good news. In the meantime, I'm off to my sewing room.

Simplicity 3634
Pattern Description:
Misses'/Women's pants, skirt and knit cardigan in two lengths and tops. I only made the cardigan and the sleeveless top. The skirt is just the left over fabric that I added a side seam to and elastic at the waist.
Pattern Sizing:
10-28W
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
It would have if I hadn't made changes
Were the instructions easy to follow?
This is the second time I've made the cardigan and top and this time I did follow the directions so there were no mishaps like last time.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I didn't dislike anything about this pattern but do check the finished measurements. There is very little ease allowed!
Fabric Used:
Slinky is one of my favorite fabrics to work with and wear. Can you believe I found it at Walmart for $2.44 a yard?
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I added bust darts to both the cardigan and the top. I also did a FBA as well as wide and high-round back measurement to both pieces as well. I have also noticed that with Slinky I pin fit the garment after cutting the fabric and almost always have to raise the bust dart or it will be way too low. I wanted to make a traditional looking twin-set so I shortened both the jacket and the top 3 inches. I always use Steam A Seam 2 in my hems to make sure that don't wind up wavy.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I will certainly sew this again and would recommend it to others but be sure to sew in the order the instructions say!
Because I wanted to match the stripes on the bands and the jacket fronts, doing so caused the fronts to pull up. Necessity being the mother of intention and all, I added a slit to underside of the botton of the band and inserted some washers from my tool drawer to weigh the center front down some. When I get ready to wash it I'll remover the washers so that they don't beat up the inside of my washer and dryer. Aren't we sewers creative souls?

4 comments:

  1. Slammin' outfit! You are looking fabulous. The green color and fabric choice works great with the pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice outfit to go along with your new do. You look beautiful. Good luck with your Dr. visit. Prayers for you.. Enjoy your sewing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are using your time home to make some very pretty outfits. And the pic in my post is just for decoration...I hate posts without pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great outfit! Washers are a good idea for weights. I just made a jacket that neede weight in the fronts, and I sewed quarters in the facing!

    Good luck with your Dr visit. Think positive. You've ocme a long way!

    ReplyDelete