Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Butterick 5186

I know I should be working on the dress for my wedding but it's not going to take me a month to make it. I cut this pattern out on Tuesday. I started sewing it Thursday and nearly had a nervous breakdown. After sleeping on it I worked on it some yesterday. I finished it today because I can't stand having UFO's hanging around. I honestly want to squeeze in one more project before I start the wedding dress. I did manage to work on my wedding invitations today. I'm taking them to church tomorrow so that the pastor can okay them. So you see I did do some work for the wedding afterall.


Pattern Description:

Misses's Semi fitted tops

Pattern Sizing:

8-22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes except I made View B but didn't have quite enough fabric so I opted for the View C sleeve

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Absolutely not. At least not for the collar and dart. Had I read the other reviews for this top prior to cutting my fabric, I probably would have chosen another pattern. The instructions for assembling the front to the back at the neckline should have been a lot more specific especially as it related to clipping to the dot. I think majoring in rocket science in college would have been easier. Sure, I finally got it together but on the inside it sure ain't pretty! Luckily the collar facing covers up most of the ugliness.



I think the key to getting the collar to fit is to pivot at a 90 degree angle when you get to the dot markings and don't be overly concerned about retaining the 5/8" seam allowance.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I disliked how the front and back fit together at the back neckline. After reading the other reviews for this pattern I see that I am not the only one. Other than the collar construction I mostly love the pattern however I don't necessarily like how the back looks. It looks fine until I tie the tie snug in the front then it rides up in the back. Since I don't see the back...it doesn't bother me a whole lot.



Fabric Used:

It looks like a heavier weight Polyester chiffon but since it came from Walmart it's "fiber of unknown origin." Some of the detail seems lost because of the pattern in the fabric but it looks fantastic on.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:

One good thing was I didn't have to do a FBA because there is a nice size but dart under the facing. I did lengthen it 1 1/2" and made a wide back adjustment. I used a covered button, although it hidden under a the lapel/collar, because I couldn't even imagine finding a button that would have otherwise matched. To make sure that the metal didn't blatantly show through the thin fabric, I interfaced the fabric circle before I covered it.




Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

After sewing the "Collar from Hell", this top went together really fast. I would like to sew this again but probably not this season. The collar alone made me question my "advanced" sewing skills--that is until I read the other reviews of this pattern.


Conclusion:

Even with the difficulty of sewing the collar I absolutely love this top. I especially love the fabric. It came out looking just like I envisioned it... funky and hip. I think the pattern should not be rated fast and easy because of the collar but I couldn't be happier with the result.

3 comments:

  1. Love the top, and the issues you point out just confirm that most sewers are perfectionist but I'm glad you mention them for other's that may want to attempt this top, it's really cute but after your review I would avoid it like the plague.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks very nice, btw--i have lost the cord to my little singer sewing machine that my hubby bought for me at WalMart. (i guess it got lost in the move) how do i go about finding a replacement? can you advise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice looking top. Congrats for working through the troublesome areas. I'm sure you learned something, and next time, the collar will be easier to apply.

    ReplyDelete