Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

Jump started my sewing

I must admit that I haven't been very productive lately. The same top, dress and slacks are still on my sewing table. It's not that I'd lost my sewjo, it just that I've been doing other things and I was once again having computer problems. The computer problems ar totally solved thanks to a super new computer! I been spending most of my time making cards and golfing. You really should check out my other blog, "I'm Black Martha", where I post my card creations.

So how did I jumpstart my sewing? With panties! That's right. I whipped out my bag of panties where I keep the scraps leftover from my knit dresses. Whenever I cut out a knit dress, I also cut out as many pairs of panties as possoble with the leftovers. I precut the elastic and the cotton crotch as well. Whenever I get an urge for a quick project everything is ready to go. After stitching two pairs of my favorite panties, I proceeded to work on the blouse which now only needs the neck facing. By the end of today I hope to have all the WIP (works in progress) finished so that I can get my sewing table cleaned off and move on to other projects.

I'd made two more maxis before my sewing stalled. Only taking about 30 minutes to sew,  I'm just lovin' 'em.





Someone asked how I was finishing my neck and armhole edges. With my differential feed serger set at 1.0, I serge around the opening. I turn under only the serged amount and stitch with a double needle on my regular sewing machine.



This fabric was part of my New York shopping. I think I picked it up in Brooklyn when Shelia took me to some of her haunts.



This fabric was from the 1/2 clearance from JoAnns. BTW George Clinton just called, they are reviving the P-Funk tour and he wants his glasses back! LOL

11 comments:

  1. These look so good on you! I'm still bumming that this pattern is just not working for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok you are the deciding factor!! I will jump on the maxi bandwagon! I love yours! Nobody ever said 30 minutes. I just heard quick and easy. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still saying I'm going to try this pattern. Yours all look so great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both dresses are definite winners! Isn't it a comfty dress. Love the fit and the prints I do love mine too although it was from a different pattern it was quite similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love the idea of having a bag of knit scraps pre-cut into panties! I have just finished sewing and fixing a hipster and bikini pattern. I've been digging through my stash bag looking for options. I like the idea of cutting them out when cutting out the dress or blouse. I'm going to incorporate this idea into my workflow. Thank you for sharing!

    Rose in SV

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It's not that I'd lost my sewjo"

    Sewjo – I like that! Can I use it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful maxis. The purple one I especially like. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your dress, you look so retro and ever so hip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! That McCall maxi dress is the pattern that keeps on giving. I have yet to make one. I must. Using your knit scraps for panties is a splendid idea. I'll do the same. Thanks,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice maxis! Ireally love the purple! I've only made one so far and due for another! George Clinton...watch out now you're dating us!

    ReplyDelete