Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Forging Ahead - Butterick 5401

Even with the painful hangnail as well as the sliced thumb, I am forging ahead on my coat. I don't think I mentioned it here but I don't have a solid black winter coat. I did have one but after realizing it had seen better days, I trashed it. Little did I know that the fashionista in me would not be able to wear a brown coat while styling black boots and purse. As I want to sew everything I wear I had to find a suitable coat pattern and do what I do...SEW.



Although I thought I had what was a suitable fabric in my stash, it wasn't a solid so I had to make a trip to the local JoAnn's. Once there I found what appeared to be a semi-felted 100% wool boucle` that is perfect. The regular price was $49.99 a yard marked down by 60%. What a deal and thank goodness because I needed 3 1/2 yards.The lining fabric is from my stash as well as the interfacing.

On Sunday I made an FBA to the pattern as well as turned the one-piece sleeve into two pieces. Monday I cut the pieces out. Tuesday I fused the interfacing. Yesterday I did the fused tailoring. I was going to do hand tailoring but the finger and thumb will not allow that, so I am tailoring using the fusible method. So far all the fusing is done but the only seam I've sewn is the undercollar. My goal is to have this coat done by Sunday. I guess I just love a challenge. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. Yes ma'am, I wish you luck and I know about those challenges, I just finished challenging myself too! I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's going to be the most adorable coat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wishing you luck too, and I look forward to seeing the finished coat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that pattern. I just found mine after making 2 coats from the same pattern LOL, should have looked in all my pattern drawers. Cant wait to see it. BTW love your hair it rocks.....

    ReplyDelete