Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Butterick 5554

As usual I'm late. That's right I didn't jump on the color-block trend when it first appeared. I had to let it settle in for a while. I've only made one other color-block, Vogue 1329, and thought it was a huge success.
I decided to tackle another one. Today I altered, cut and sewed Butterick 5554 (I almost never do it all in the same day).




I am not in love with it. I do like to be in love with the clothes I make. I decided to switch it up a bit and still don't like it. I don't know if the silhouette is wrong from me or it's the fabric or what. The husband doesn't like it either.


Of course I want to salvage it. I think I like it better with the solid sleeves.


On another note. This is what I wore today. Another McCalls 6566 top. It's now my favorite! The skirt was made by me as well. Do you think it would be too much to ask my photographer to wait until I'm smiling instead of catching me when I look like I've sucked sour lemons!


Really? It looks like I'm trying to fly but is a good shot of my outfit.


Is there a reason he felt the need to snap a picture while I was checking out the scar from my knee replacement? I am desperately in need of a new photographer!

9 comments:

  1. Cute dress and like it better with the solid sleeves too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm for the solid sleeves also, and you have a great photographer with a playful esthetic..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the dress with the brown sleeves...Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. l like it with the solid color sleeves. Question--did you make any alterations to the yoke? the proportions of the yoke compared to the side panel look different from the red and black dress on the pattern envelope. I'm wondering if Butterick didn't scale the pattern properly when producing different sizes.... I get so annoyed when projects don't work.

    Rose in SV

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the top and the skirt combo, and like others solid sleeves will be great on the dress. Great photographer you have every moment counts in photography so he captured all well....lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny comments on the photography session - made me smile! The solid sleeves are the better option, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the silhouette is great for you, but I would try solid sleeves and a solid binding at the neckline. Then try it on for us and let us see. Hey, I always like a fashion show ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Rose. I like the solid sleeves better and it looks like the balance of the side panels should be smaller and the center panel wider. Good Luck and take pics in the dress when you are done with the "save"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't mind the plaid sleeves, but I think you'd like it better if the sleeves were shorter. At the length they are right now, your lovely dress looks quite, quite dowdy. If you're going to snatch them off anyway, why not try chopping them off at bracelet length, then elbow length (if needed), then short (if needed)? You might be able to save yourself the tedium of unpicking and resetting two whole sleeves.

    ReplyDelete