Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

Once I get started

Remember the song by Rufus and Chaka Khan? It's how I feel about making bras. I've started and just can't stop. Could be that a few of my bras are looking kind of ratty. Today I tried my hand at dyeing a finished bra. After hearing so much about the Dylon brand, now available at JoAnns I figured, "Why not?" It's not as if I'm going anywhere anytime soon, what with 16" of snow on the ground!



Using Flamingo Pink dye, this is what I got...





Very interesting results. The lace took the color marvelously but the "Simplex" not so much. The "Powerknit" is more the color I envisioned the results to be. The hooks and eyes also took the dye very nicely as well.

Just had an interesting phone call. Andrea from Knit-Knac just told me I used the wrong kind of dye if I was expecting a uniform color I should have used iDye poly or Dharma Trading Co. Okay. Lesson learned. I also made sample cups using two different fabrics to make a Elan (530) bra. Using my "bra frame" was a tremendous time saver. Using one fabric I need to go down a size while the other fabric just needs to be trimmed down and reshaped. I love the "bra frame" and will save it and continue to insert and remove the cups to "audition" different cups. Stay tuned for another finished bra. I think I'm going to move all of my bra posts to another tab so that I can reference them more easily and visitors can as well.

5 comments:

  1. It's interesting to see how the different fabrics took the dye. Look forward to your next attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're starting to make me think that I might be capable of making bras. Can you believe this winter weather???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know there's sewing and dyeing here but dayum you lost me at 16" of snow! OMG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am starting to get interested in making my own bras, so really enjoy reading these posts. The dyed bra is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in MI too! Haven't left the house in 3 days!

    ReplyDelete