Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2014

I Am a Phenomenal Woman


I've blogged about it on several occasions...age appropriate style and fashion. I'll be 57 this year and am always concerned that I might be making a fool of myself with my style and fashion choices! While checking out this link, I was in total agreement with most of it. The media has totally fooled us into thinking we can stop the aging process. They're are very few "old people" on television and in film. Betty White is an exception to the rule! But really, the media has made us feel bad about how we look. We all think we are overweight old hags that no man in his right mind would want. When was the last time you saw an actress on television with stretch marks, belly and or back fat? Don't burn up any brain cells trying to figure out that riddle!

You've seen me. You sort of know me. I don't know what you think of me but I don't consider myself, fat, chunky, chubby, overweight or plus size. I'm just me. While I've managed to escape stretch marks, I do have both back and belly fat. I've survived breast cancer and a knee replacement with a second replacement looming in the distance. I like who I am. I'm proud of who I am. I've been through more than you'll ever know and I'm still here! I don't allow anyone, not you or the media, make me feel bad about myself. Like Maya Angelou says " I'm a ...Phenomenal Woman
Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman

Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me. 
I'm aging as gracefully as I can. No one thing defines who I am. I'll continue with my sewing, golfing, bowling, violin playing, motorcycle riding, and anything else I so desire for as long as I desire. I'm my own woman. I'm not part of that tumbleweed rolling down the main streets of Dodge City who gets sucked in with what everyone else is doing because I don't have the where-with-all to stand away from the ground. Don't let anyone else tell you who you are. I think I know what styles and fashions work for me. I once read something in a Danielle Steele novel, "Fashion is what you buy, style is how you wear it!" and it has stuck with me. I say be your own "Phenomenal Woman" and tell the naysayers to go take a hike.


25 comments:

  1. Beautiful post and I must add that you a re gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Love this so much and I agree in all counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you are phenomenal indeed! Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow could not agree more, one of my favourite poems too, thanks for giving me a chance to re-read it. You are in your prime and it shows. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Phenomenal post from a phenomenal woman :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post by a beautiful woman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen, sister! A great poem and smart post. You are phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. Yes you are phenomenal & I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indeed you are, really uplifting post from a fellow nearly 57er. I love hat you wear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ima Phenomenal Woman, too! Loved this post!

    I was sent over by Rhonda at Rhonda's Creative Life.

    Happy highways... Look out! Ima Gorgeous is on her way!
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  11. AWESOME! We could all learn from this poem! Have a "Phenomenal" week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And you are so right. What a great post! Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I read that poem often. Gotta love Maya Angelou.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amen! I'm right behind you (heading to 56) and feel the same way! Love Dr. Angelou! Keep up the beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This poem is framed on my nightstand, a gift from my hubbie! You are a phenomenal woman, with swagg, I've always admired your style and life experiences you've shared with us. What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the post and your style and you're funny too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found your you from Gertie's blog for better sewing, and I'm SO glad! I'm 50 and curvy, and needed to hear you wonderful words- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that site. I am totally with you there. Knowing how to sew, we sometimes think we can wear anything. PS still going to wear my Kitten Heels:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Girl that is always awesome

    you define who you are no one else

    ReplyDelete
  20. Girl that is always awesome

    you define who you are no one else

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for posting the Phenomenal Woman poem. I think you are aging well!

    ReplyDelete