Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Mad About Plaid - Butterick 5218

I've been sewing up a storm. Haven't been blogging about it but take my word for it...but believe me, it's happening. I made two more pairs of Jalie Eleanore jeans, another Appleton dress and McCall's 7195. I need some casual tops to go with my new jeans. I chose Butterick 5218 and a Homespun cotton fabric from my stash.


Pattern Description: Rated Easy. Loose-fitting, pullover tops have collar variations, front button closure with front pleats, back gathers, dropped shoulders and sleeve variations.
Pattern Sizing:
9-22 I made the size 20
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I think so


Were the instructions easy to follow?
Super. The instructions for the front pleat were spot-on.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked the relaxed fit
Fabric Used:
100% Cotton Homespun from JoAnn Fabrics
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I didn't make any alterations but should have made a cheater FBA by adding 2" additional length to the center front. Luckily the high-low look is in style so it's not that big of a deal. Although I sewed View B, I added the pockets from View C and used the garment length and sleeves from View A. I cut bot the sleeves and the the pockets on the bias as I didn't want to have to worry about matching this uneven plaid.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I'll sew it again. I'd love to make it in a white linen blend. I'd recommend it to others if you don't mind the relaxed fit. Unfortunately it is out of print!
Conclusion:
The hardest part of the garment was finding a button that matched. I'll use the one button you see. Currently it's just stuck on. I like how the color blends and will be making the buttonholes later this evening.

Next up is Simplicity 1062

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious about cutting your sleeves on the bias. I hardly ever see this, but I like it. I've read that there's an advantage in fitting (in addition to not having to deal with plaid matching). Do you find this to be true?

    ReplyDelete